Monday, March 30, 2015

Friends Are The Family You Choose

Over the last couple of months I have learned to rely on my friends and appreciate them more than I had in the past. That’s not saying that I never appreciated them or that I took them for granted. Quite the opposite in fact. When you grow up without friends you truly do appreciate the ones you make in later years. And those friendships usually turn out to be genuine friendships, not the drama filled superficial friendships that most people make in their teen years.

I have never been the most social of people. I prefer small gatherings of a few friends over large crowds any day. I generally don’t know how to talk to strangers and it takes me a while to feel comfortable around people. I’ve been called a ‘recluse’ and I really can’t counter that. I’m much more likely to stay in and read a book than go out and drink the night away.

Thank goodness for friends. When I was abandoned by the one person who I had felt would never leave, it was my friends that got me to leave home and take my mind off of things for a while. It was my friends that stuck beside me and listened to me, whether it be in tears or depressed or whatnot. And I can’t say that I’ve made things easy for them. I’m sure there are some of them that dread it when they see that I’ve sent a text to them! But the fact is that my friends were there for me and continue to be.


From Cassie, who has been my rock and sounding-board, to Deanna, my coffee mate, and everyone else that has listened to me and offered kind words and advice. I wish that I can be as good of a friend to you as you all are for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment