Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Page Turns

Remember that time when Frodo and Sam were at Mt Doom to throw the One Ring into the fires where it was created? Well, I was there. And what about that time that young Adelrune went seeking out Riander to train him as a knight? I was there too. Or how about when the Jedi were massacred during Order 66 and then roughly 20 years later the son of a traitor shows up and is instrumental in the fall of the Empire that changed the face of a Galaxy Far, Far Away? You got it. I was right there with Luke Skywalker and the Rebels.

I'm not quite sure when I read my first book. I'm not even sure of when I first learned to read. But I am glad that I did.

Books, for me, have been constant friends. Growing up in the country and not having a lot of friends (read as any friends) in school, books were companions and fellow adventurers and true loves. There were new things to learn and new people to meet and new sights to see within those lovely pages filled not with words, but experiences.

There is a quote that I like from The Fellowship of the Ring. Frodo quotes Bilbo and though the quote is about the Road, I think it follows very true for books as well. The quote goes like this: 
'He often used to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep and every path was its tributary. "It's dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."
The relation to a book? Think of stepping out your door as opening a book. Once you open that cover and turn the first page you could end up anywhere.

Maybe embarking on that journey is why I enjoy writing. I wouldn't say I'm terribly good at it (though others might say otherwise), but I do enjoy it. I have a few short stories drifting around on my computer. Perhaps next time I'll post one of them. This is not that time though.

So whether you are a traveller to far and distant lands, heading to your cousins castle in the next county over or just popping into the pub down the street described within the book you are reading, keep those pages turning. You can visit all the places you had ever wanted and all you have to do is pick up a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment